Wednesday, September 12, 2012

From Log Cabin to Urban Streets: Part 2

Next project up is the Country table runner. I'm using Urban Odessey fabric from Connecting Threads so mine is Urban Streets Table Runner. I think the 4 patch squares look like city blocks with buildings an dthe fence post squares look like city streets. I've cut and pieced all of the blocks so I only have to stitch them together. That will probably happen this weekend.



Check out the seams in this 4 patch. My skills are definitely improving in the cutting, sewing and pressing. It takes all three to get consistently good results. It's hard to believe how easy it is when you just relax and take your time.



On another topic, I want to mention the awesome book I got called "The Quilter's Album of Patchwork Patterns" by Jinny Beyer. It is published by Breckling Press. I bought mine from Connecting Threads. I must say that this book is marvelous. I thought i was getting a collection of patchwork patterns but I didn't - I got much more. What I got was a marvelous story about the history of published patterns and magnificent color pictures and line drawings of the patchwork patterns. There are even transparent overlays with the various grids so you can really see the detail in the designs. This book is both inspirational and intimidating. I'm overcome with awe just imagining the work involved. The time spent to compile all of the information must have been tremendous. What a daunting challenge when you look at the completed project. You can tell that it was a project driven by the love of quilting.

1 comment: